When it comes to your compressor, that means we:
- Attend to manufacturer’s specifications and design parameters,
- Use only Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts,
- Ensure reliability by pressure testing all compressors before returning to the field, and
- Fully commission the unit after completing the overhaul.
Sectors and industries served
We overhaul compressors for:
- Grocery stores
- Industrial sites (including oil and gas)
- Cold storage and distribution warehouses
- Arenas and recreational ice facilities (including ammonia modular systems)
- Food manufacture and processing
*Pssst: Don’t see your facility type here? Note that Gateway also serves clients in many other sectors. Get in touch today to learn about our expertise in yours.
It usually ranges between 6000 – 100,000 hours. If we’re talking 24/7 operations, that can be anywhere from 6 months to over 10 years.
Variables include type of compressor, manufacturer specifications, and operating conditions (among others).
For example, screw compressors can often go longer between overhauls than reciprocating compressors.
It depends on compressor type, manufacturer specifications, and operating conditions.
To get the full picture, we:
- Conduct field diagnostics,
- Analyze oil condition, bearing clearance and vibration, and
- Inspect valves, plates, sensors, transmitters, coils, regulating slides, and discharge and suction ports.
Together, these show what condition your compressor’s in, and which components need extra attention. That’s how we know which components to either repair or replace, such as: bearing elements, slide valve components, O-rings, gaskets, seals, bolts, and filter cartridges.
*Note: On opening the unit, we may find it’s more cost-effective for you to replace your unit rather than overhauling it. In those rare cases, before sinking more costs into the failing unit, we’d contact you so you can make an informed decision before proceeding.
We work hard to minimize downtime, by keeping the turnaround time as tight as possible.
Overhauling your compressor usually takes anywhere from one day, up to two weeks.
Timing depends on supply chain, sourcing replacement parts, seasonal demand, and whether we’ll be servicing your equipment in the field or in our shop.
It also depends on whether we’ve arranged the compressor rebuild with you in advance. Ideally, by pre-scheduling this as routine maintenance, we can source the parts to reduce delays—before taking your system offline.
It depends on the type of compressor.
For example, many reciprocating compressors can be done in the field. Screw compressors typically need a shop similar to operating rooms or clean rooms.
If you do have an in-house clean shop that meets our quality control standards, then we can likely overhaul your screw compressor in the field.
If you don’t have an in-house clean shop and we can’t do the work onsite, that’s when we discuss shipping feasibility to bring the compressor to our nearest shop. Note we have service shops throughout Western Canada, so this is easier than it sounds!
Steps for Gateway’s ship-to-shop compressor rebuilds:
1. Remove & Ship: Our team removes the compressor from its base and ships it.
2. Rebuild: We overhaul the compressor as quickly and as close to quoted price as possible. We test thoroughly before returning the unit.
3. Return & Install: We install and commission your rebuilt compressor to ensure peak performance within your system.
In other words, do you have the scale, capacity, and equipment to overhaul my compressor in your shop?
Most likely, yes!
Because we have the shop capacity for it, we’re also able to take on even the largest industrial compressors—other companies even send customers our way when it’s a job bigger than their shop handles.
- Overhauls any refrigeration-grade compressor, regardless of size and complexity
- Services reciprocating, rotary, scroll, and screw compressors (including natural gas screw compressors)
- Services all major commercial and industrial refrigeration brands, including:
- Bitzer, Carrier, Danfoss, Frick, Howden, Mycom, Sullair, Tecumseh, Trane, Vilter, York—and more!
- Has the expertise and proper procedures for rebuilds you can count on
- Operates clean facilities for overhauling compressors, complete with overhead crane hoists
Not sure if we can do yours? Contact us today to discuss whether it’s feasible to overhaul your compressor and discuss your options!
We overhaul any refrigeration-grade compressor, regardless of size and complexity.
That said, please note Gateway DOES NOT overhaul:
- centrifugal compressors, air compressors, hydraulic compressors, or reciprocating gas compressors (but we CAN do screw gas compressors)
Not sure if we can overhaul your compressor? Get in touch!
Downtime isn’t an option for successful, efficient businesses. You’ve invested in your equipment, so our preventative maintenance programs aim to help your equipment exceed its projected lifespan. Our team of licensed HVAC/R technicians service, repair, and maintain all makes and models—regardless of who installed it. When you work with us, you can also track work orders, on demand.
Our commercial and industrial refrigeration technicians help ensure your equipment remains at peak performance. We’ve got you covered.