Today’s competitive retail spaces demand curated customer experiences. And that starts with safety, comfort, and indoor air quality. Strategically improving your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system can help you:
- Retain anchor tenants, unique shops, and core amenities
- Improve your occupants’ physical well-being while in your space
- Encourage repeat visits and new tenant applications
- Reduce vacancy rates
We’re a full-service HVAC company. That means our indoor air quality experts can help you improve occupant safety, comfort, and experience while in your space.
Commercial HVAC experts.
We’ve delivered reliable, cost-effective heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) solutions across western Canada since 1968. Even with over 50 years of expertise, we still innovate and lead our industry.
We service all commercial building sizes, ranging from independent stores and offices, to plazas, office towers, and shopping centers. Our expert engineers, project managers, estimators, and certified tradespeople work with you to understand your needs and deliver solutions to fit your scope and budget.
What can Gateway do for commercial buildings?
Stakes are high in retail.
It’s not easy for enclosed shopping malls competing with open air and outlet malls, and brick-and-mortar retail competing with e-commerce.
Keeping commercial destinations open to foot traffic and tourism depends on creating customer experiences. And improving customer experiences in your space starts with safety. That’s where we come in.
We help commercial building operators and lessors with all your HVAC, ductwork, and mechanical needs. That includes designing, building, installing, servicing, and maintaining HVAC and ductwork systems—as well as replacing, retrofitting, and expanding existing ones.
Our service offerings include:
- 24/7/365 emergency service
- Design-builds and design-assists on new developments,
- Rebuilds, retrofits, and overhauls on existing systems and components, and
- Customizable preventative maintenance programs suited to your needs and budget.
FAQs About Commercial HVAC Systems
We install and service all the following heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment—and more!
A wide range of HVAC systems, including:
- Central heating and air conditioning systems,
- Chilled water systems,
- Energy efficient systems for lower operating costs,
- Heat recovery ventilation systems (HRVs),
- Industrial & commercial grade de/humidification systems, and
- Split and multi-split systems (including ductless options).
- Building Automation Systems (BAS),
- Digital control systems, and
- Gas & leak detection systems for refrigerants.
Air conditioning units and components:
- Air handling units (AHUs), including
- Makeup Air Units (MAUs), and
- Rooftop units (RTUs).
- Compressors (including compressor rebuilds)
- Cooling towers
- Ductwork and air movement systems
HVAC adjustments to improve comfort and temperature consistency, such as:
- Adding HVAC controls,
- Changing HVAC zoning (relocating and adding thermostats), and
- Adjusting thermostats and air flow (air balance, dampers, ducting).
Pssst: Don’t see the item you’re looking for here? This is only some of the equipment we routinely install and service. Get in touch today to learn how we can help with your commercial building’s needs!
By using better components, our systems operate more efficiently. More efficient heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems mean more than “just” a smaller carbon footprint. More efficient systems also mean:
- Energy savings,
- Longer component lifecycles, and
- More comfortable, consistent temperatures.
Canada has higher and lower temperature extremes than most countries, so our buildings must compensate for those extremes. That makes for costly energy bills, so if you’re currently postponing necessary HVAC upgrades, there’s a few things you need to know.
First, retrofitting or modifying existing systems can greatly reduce your energy consumption. Second, there may even be rebates available in your area for businesses reducing their energy emissions.
We all love saving money, and that’s even more satisfying when investments contribute to a sustainable future.
That’s what we do. North of the 48th parallel, we do what our competitors can’t. Our team lives where we service—so we understand what that means for equipment.
Whether it’s -55°C (-67°F) in Fort McMurray, 41°C (105.8°F) in Kelowna—or just the typical 80°C annual weather swings of the Canadian prairies, we live here.
That’s how we’re able to design-build, design-assist, and service equipment to fit your needs and climate. Seasonal maintenance is also one of our core offerings, because we know this helps ensure your equipment’s longevity and your overall business success. We help you ensure your equipment is optimized for season-specific use and winterized properly for year-round use.
Short answer? It all depends on your needs!
For example, our customers’ spaces range from commercial offices to hot yoga studios—all the way to customers whose entire food production area is a massive walk-in cooler!
That said, the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), Standard 55-2013 suggests maintaining an indoor temperature of 20 – 26°C (68–79°F). Preferences vary, but this range tends to be most comfortable, with 23°C (74°F) as a happy medium for most. Every space in your building should ideally be comfortable and properly balanced so you don’t find spots where it’s too cold, drafty, or too hot.
We also recommend setting seasonally-specific temperatures. Adjusting to seasonal climates reduces utility costs and is often more comfortable than jarring indoor/outdoor temperature swings.
In the winter, aim for 20–24°C (68–75°F) and in the summer, aim for 24–27°C (75–81°F).
We value our customers’ and employees’ safety above all else. Our commitment to safety is one of our core values and we have the certification and training to back that up.
At Gateway, we also strive as hard to maintain your facility as we would our very own.
Here’s what you can expect from our team. At Gateway, we:
- Continuously audit and improve our safety program
- Are vendor-trained for specialized equipment
- Have the knowledge, experience, and training required to successfully complete work in any facility
- Ensure all team members pass full security background checks
- Are COR (Certificate of Recognition) certified throughout Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan
Preventative maintenance, active monitoring, and 24/7/365 service availability across western Canada means we’ve got you covered.
Reduce service call impacts on your customers and tenants.
Commercial buildings and retail spaces are activity hubs where customers expect an effortless experience.
When you need something fixed, you need a team that reduces the impact on your customers as much as possible. Whether we’re completing a renovation or providing service and maintenance, we’re able to work at hours that suit your needs and don’t interfere with daily operations.
Even better? Our preventative maintenance programs can reduce the number of service calls by aiming to identify and correct issues before they happen.
Downtime isn’t an option for successful, efficient businesses. You’ve invested in your equipment, so routine maintenance helps that equipment remain at peak performance and ideally exceed its projected lifespan. Our team of licensed HVAC technicians service, repair, and maintain all makes and models—regardless of who installed it.
Add protection with active monitoring systems.
Modern operations need modern tech solutions. Automation in commercial buildings is more than just checkout efficiency—it also means smart controls and offsite connectivity. Talk to our team today about Building Automation Systems (BAS), remote temperature monitoring, alarms, and preventative maintenance. We’d like to help you work smarter, not harder.
Need better indoor air quality in your commercial building?
That’s what we do.
Improving indoor air quality can improve occupant health and experience—in addition to performance and productivity.
As a full-service HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) company, our indoor air quality experts can help you enhance your customers’ safety and shopping experience—which helps attract new shoppers and encourage repeat visits.
Our indoor air quality offerings include:
- Our FREE article Indoor Air Quality: Everything You Need to Know and More
- A FREE online self-assessment tool with personalized recommendations for you
- Additional resources for businesses and those managing facilities, buildings, and spaces:
- FREE 15-minute no-obligation indoor air quality consultations for businesses
- Indoor air quality testing
- An Air Quality Awards program for eligible businesses to publicly demonstrate your air quality leadership
What if something goes wrong?
Emergencies happen. That’s why we have 24/7/365 on-call support. We know an emergency means you need us there now, not the next day. We respond quickly—and our processes will ensure you receive the continuity, rapid diagnostics, and resolution you need.
Call 1.800.414.4929 for emergency service.